A Visit from Author Erika L. Sánchez

Back to Article
Back to Article

A Visit from Author Erika L. Sánchez

Will Ingman and Ayla Feldman-Krainak

On October 25th,  world-famous author Erika L. Sánchez visited Lanier as part of a tour for her book, I Am Not Your Perfect Mexican Daughter. Freshman students from Lanier and LBJ piled into the auditorium for her presentation.

To begin, a video of several kids from around the world discussing their thoughts and opinions on the book played on the auditorium’s main screen. After the interviews finished, Sánchez went onstage and introduced herself in both English and Spanish. She gave a brief speech about how the writing process was related to her mental health and the struggles of writing a bestselling novel, before opening the floor to questions from the audience.

The audience asked a few questions, mostly related to the potential of a movie adaptation and auditions for said film. Afterwards, the staff present were given microphones to hand out to students willing to share their favorite part of the book. Sánchez responded, discussing the inspirations for that particular segment or what it meant specifically to her. Next, the author paused for a moment to allow photographers to take pictures of the event. After that, Sánchez left the stage, and a Kahoot related to the book began. Eleven questions later, the winners were given gift card prizes and the students left the auditorium.

Sánchez’s visit to Lanier was a rare and much appreciated opportunity. Not only was it an honor to host such a prolific author, but the cultural significance of I Am Not Your Perfect Mexican Daughter to many students at Lanier speaks volumes. As Sanchez’s literary star rises, watch her for more great work.