Photo From Google Images

Photo From Google Images

Save Us

“I’m fine.” That’s what they want me to say because it’ll make them feel better, about themselves. But they’re too blind to see the truth behind those words, those lies.

Depression, anxiety and mental illnesses are serious issues that schools need to acknowledge more. For there are many adults that believe it’s just, “teenage moodiness” and not a serious issue, when it really is. Many kids these days, suffer from things like depression and anxiety for different reasons. It can be from experiences from home, from bullying and from drug abuse. If ones depression becomes severe, then it eventually leads to suicidal thoughts. Those thoughts begin to escalate as time goes by and it will result to death.

According to the site, “nobullying.com”, only about one in five teens suffering from depression, actually seek help. Each year there are over 150,000 youths that need to seek treatment, for self-inflicted wounds. And almost five thousand lives are lost each year due to suicidal thoughts. A nationwide survey was done for high schoolers and they showed that around sixteen percent of those students reported thoughts of suicide, thirteen percent planned it and eight percent actually did it.

Another website, by the name of, “statisticbrain.com,” shows research that was conducted in August 23, 2016 about teen suicides. Through the ages ten and twenty-four, there are over 4,400 deaths and an average of twelve suicides, per day. Teens that attempt suicide, have an average of 575,000 per year and those they surveyed in high school, have a twenty percent rate of considering the idea of death. Sixteen percent of those students, were in grades nine through twelve and eighty one percent of suicide deaths, are males.

There are ways to help prevent teens from committing suicide and it’s to get professional help. Counseling, residential treatment and medical care can help save a teenager’s life. Schools, in my opinion, don’t focus on these symptoms that well and should discuss it among students. Most of high school students nowadays, like to joke around about that sort of thing. They don’t know how bad it hurts, to hear them talk about something that should be taken seriously. Teachers that tell their students how serious the situation is and encourage them to seek treatment, will help spark hope.

It’s hard for a teen to be open about their problems because they feel fearful, about how others will see them. I know, because I am one of those students and I would appreciate it, if adults would be more understandable about ones feelings. It’s not just some, “phase,” it’s real for those of us that suffer and it’s a scary thing to experience. We’re only kids that lost our way and we’re just waiting to be saved.

Viking Voice • Copyright 2020 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in