The Center of Innovation

Hector Machuca, Writer/Author/ Editor

Four-hundred and seventy-five people attended the third annual Maker Mania event on February 4, 2017, in the Lanier High School library. Despite a drop in turnout, event organizers were pleased with the outcome.

The event was presented by Lanier High School, Burnet Middle School, Cook Elementary School, Guerrero-Thompson Elementary School, McBee Elementary School, Padron Elementary School, Wooldridge Elementary School, and Wooten Elementary School.

“Maker Mania is an opportunity to invite the whole community into Lanier so that future Viking students and their families can start feeling comfortable with the school,” said Lanier Librarian Emily Hersh. “It’s also a great opportunity for kids to have fun, hands-on experiences by making things.”

Indeed, families that came to the event learned about the technology available at the school. This included cardboard car-making and hands-on experiences with computers. Younger students also had the option to get on a computer and use the website “Hour of Code” to learn coding techniques. Lanier science teacher Arianna Colasanti’s Green Teens showed off local aquatic life. Colasanti also lead a “seed ball” making session, while her colleague Kaci Myrick and her Tech Girls hosted a slime booth.

Other present organizations included Ready Set Teach, Divine Canines, the Lanier High School Family Resource Center, Boy Scouts of America, Houghton Mifflin, and the Austin Public Library.

Hersh said that she is planning for another Maker Mania next year.