The American Dream

Ercie Camarillo, Staff Writer

Politicians such as Ronald Reagan and Barack Obama were huge supporters of the American dream, even though each had different views and points on the subject. A variety of people still believe in this idea; that success comes from one’s hard work and dedication to do so. However, there are some that see others success as a threat, and will do anything to prevent it, which sometimes causes it to fail. I strongly believe in the American dream, I am a dreamer. I was not born in the United States, but I was raised and slowly assimilated to American traditions, holidays, etc. while keeping my Mexican roots.

I have proven to this country that I’m worthy of living, working, and getting educated here. I remember applying for the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals, also known as DACA, was a huge thing, this would either be an advantage or a disadvantage, we decided to risk everything in order to live in peace. I grew up wanting to become an artist, later, I discovered I truly had a gift for math. During high school, was when I really pushed myself to the limit, it was also the time I had to apply for DACA during Barack Obama’s second presidential term, it was now or never. I had just turned 15, a sophomore in high school and I was already making adult decisions. I was lucky to have an attorney that was well experienced and equipped to give me this opportunity. She is well recognized in Austin, Texas, also by the Austin Independent School District, I felt I could trust her. I got my working permit the following month of applying, and I cried, I allowed my parents to worry less about me. This permit guaranteed me education, peace, and protection. I had proved to this country I am worth the shot, I am not a criminal nor a rapist, as some politicians may say, but I am in fact Mexican and American. I am a liberal, open minded, but most of all, I am a dreamer. I currently am a senior in high school, applying to universities, trying to find myself in the real world, keeping my family together. I’d say I was basically forced to grow up pretty quick, to deal with real world problems, to even live in constant fear. The fact that we couldn’t call a police officer in an accident because we thought we would be deported back is ironic, police are here to defend and protect those in need, but of course, we were not well educated, or informed of our basic rights. Now that I am older, I understand the laws, I have studied them and meditated them, I am a human and I deserve equal protection as a citizen. I now have a guaranteed further education, I am going to a university in Texas, I am living my dream, but if something happens, if someone changes the laws, my hard work would be in vain.

Immigrants created and gave birth to this country, their hard work cannot banish into thin air, Barack Obama believed in us, and we have to let the nativists know we are strong, we are worth it. I have the right to pursue my happiness, and if my happiness is in the United States, I will stay here, and prove to everyone I am worth it. This great country’s values haven’t changed, a person’s hard work, dedication and open door to opportunity are conservative, not liberal. Which at the moment was the way Americans lived, as years passed, the American values changed, politicians became open minded, perhaps, in a sense fair, welcoming again until the 2016 presidential election. I could say I lived happily for a good two in a half years, who knows if I will end up getting kicked out of the country I promised loyalty to, the country that has given me a lot, that has allowed me to grow as a person. I live in fear. Every day that passes by, I can see more and more Americans following Donald Trump’s irrational comments and ideas about immigrants, and it surprises me because America is the land of the free, the home of the immigrants, the melting pot of the world. I have to accept the sad reality that my days in the United States might be over, or perhaps I am good enough to stay and continue with my goals and aspirations.

In conclusion, I don’t think people should live in fear in a country where they should live in peace. Everyone should be able to express themselves to be happy and not feel terrorized. Everyone has rights, everyone has dreams, everyone wants to succeed, and everyone should be able to do so. Barack Obama gave me the chance to prove I could do so and I can’t simply stop halfway. My road to success is still not over, and I believe I’m worth it.