I Didn’t Mean It

I Didn't Mean It

Google Ink

Liz Becker, Editor

Some people say that words and actions don’t hurt, but people don’t know how a simple word or touch can affect one’s life. Kids get picked on for things that damage their self-esteem. Their choice of fashion, their intelligence, their family background–all of these potentially sensitive areas could feed a bully. People often do not realize how bad bullying affects certain people. It can escalate easily, until it becomes a life-threatening situation.

According to the Center for Disease Control, suicide is the second leading cause of death for 10- to 34-year-olds. It was the cause of nearly 6,078 deaths in a year, through the ages 15 to 24. Yale University did a study about this as well. According to it, seven to nine percent of bullied victims are more likely to consider suicide. And over 30,000 children stay home due to fear of the outside world, according to a study by ABC News.

Bullying comes in many forms: physical, emotional, technological, and even through pressure from family and friends. An Urban Institutes study on bullying shows that 17 percent of students are cyber bullied, 41 percent are physically bullied and 15 percent experience different kinds of bullying. About 50 percent of girls in the study went through psychological bullying and 45 percent of males went through physical bullying.

Despite all this, when a child tells their parents about what’s happening to them at school, many adults think it’s just “part of childhood” a that they’ll eventually learn to stand up for themselves.

Bullying causes teens and even adults to resort to suicide. Many children feel fearful and alone, since they believe no one understands what they’re going through. People joke about serious things so easily, like with suicide and bullying. The worst part is that someone next to you could’ve experienced those things, and hearing you joke about it could just encourage them to end it all.