Arts of Honor

The National Art Honor Society (NAHS) welcomed new members on November 2. According to its current roster, the society grew from its small group of eight to its current 20 members.

Nicholas Barreiro, chairman of North Austin Creatives, an organization whose “mission is to advance the arts through connections, community and creativity,” spoke to the members about the importance of art in their lives. Lanier Assistant Principal Lisa Bohanan emphasized the need for art and creativity in the lives of students who are stressed about their grades and personal lives.

“Y’all come with so much in this day and age on your plates that you need something other than ‘well let me look at your grades,” Bohanan said. “You need an outlet and I think that art is a great way to release some of those things that you have going on in life.”

Teachers and families congratulated students after remarks from Berreiro and Bohanan. The teachers’ presence was key in that it illustrates that the students are supported not just by their families, but also by their instructors.

Work done by NAHS students around Lanier includes the mural on the art building and lockers in the boys’ locker room. Their current project is a mural for the restaurant Mi Cosina, formerly Don Chuy’s.