Lanier AV Students Meet the Filmmakers at Exclusive Alamo Drafthouse Q&A

Back to Article
Back to Article

Tara Bordeaux

On Wednesday, 30 students from Advanced and Practicum AV Production were selected to a special Q&A panel of diverse international filmmakers during Fantastic Fest at Alamo Drafthouse. Students were able to meet the filmmakers and watch trailers and short films from other countries premiering here in the US.

Lanier had the biggest turnout of students, and won the grand prize drawing of 5 full passes to Mondo Fest to attend in October.

In particular, students heard from filmmaker Mattie Do, who was born in Los Angeles to recent immigrant parents who left during the communist revolution in Laos. Mattie returned to Vientiane in 2010 with her husband and whippet to take care of her retired father. Noting that Lao-language films were scarce and that few featured strong female protagonists or stories, she became determined to make a feature film. At the time, Laos had no functioning filmmaking infrastructure and only one cinema in the capital city. Mattie uses horror and supernatural storytelling to convey messages about women’s roles and delicate social issues.

Mattie is the first Lao woman to direct a feature film, and her story inspired students to pursue filmmaking, regardless of who they are or where they come from, and that no matter how hard finishing a film may seem, it’s worth it when you see the finished product.

Mattie Do facts courtesy IMDb.com