Lanier Wins Big at Think It up Live Contest

Raul Flores, Staff Writer

The Lanier Media Arts program won big at SXSW this year competing against student teacher teams from all over Austin during the Think It Up Live event held at Crockett High School. Ms. Bordeaux, Lanier High School A/V Production Teacher,  and a group of Advanced AV students entered the Think It Up Live competition, where students had to come up with a idea that would help their school and/or community and pitch it to a panel of celebrity judges for the chance to win $1000. Students Ida Borg-Hansen, Isaiah Rogers, Maykel Naranjo and Consulate Wilson pitched their idea for “The Lost & Sound Room”, a music production studio to help at-risk teens have a safe space to be creative and express themselves.

“Students want their voices to be heard,” said Isaiah Rogers, senior. “We believe that having a creative outlet to collaborate with other people will raise grades, attendance, and graduation percentages. It also gives students a chance to work in an industry standard studio where they can produce studio quality work,” he added. Ms. Bordeaux, or “Ms. B.” as the students call her, voiced her pride in her students hard work. “They believe in this idea, and they want to make a difference by giving back and inspiring the next generation to create something they believe in as well,” said Ms. Bordeaux.

The team took home the semi-finalist prize of $500, plus won an additional $1000 in matching funds from the Entertainment Industry Foundation in Los Angeles. After the competition, the students crowdsourced an additional $800 through Donorschoose.org to bring their idea to life. When SXSWedu heard about their idea, they pitched in and donated a state-of-the-art sound recording booth.

The Lost and Sound Room should be completed over the summer and any students interested in music or video production are encouraged to apply for the Media Arts Program.

According to http://www.thinkitup.org/ :

What is Think it Up Live:

Former professional tennis player and founder of the Andy Roddick Foundation, Andy Roddick and actress Brooklyn Decker will join Austin teachers and students for Think It Up Live. The inspiring event will bring teachers and students together to pitch learning projects, and their student-powered, teacher-led ideas will later be submitted for crowd-funding.

Think It Up is an initiative of the Entertainment Industry Foundation designed to create a culture of excitement about teaching and learning. Think It Up and its supporters — The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, Staples, Ashoka, and ExxonMobil — invite students ages 13+ in grades 7-12 at district or public charter schools to work with their teachers to develop projects that draw on the students’ passions and help them pursue their educational goals.
Think It Up harnesses the power of crowdsourcing to turn the ideas behind each student-powered project into an active learning experience, and the method is generating mainstream cultural attention to education. To further explain this method, Creative Artists Agency Chief Innovation Officer and Think It Up Advisory Board Member Michelle Kydd Lee will moderate a panel featuring members from XQ: The Super School Project and Road Trip Nation.

Photo Courtesy of Tara Bourdeaux